- Playing for 30 years (jazz, blues, Beatles, Bach. You name it, I've played it)
- Teaching for 14 years (City Of Toronto Parks and Recreation, The Toronto District School Board, freelancing)
- Bachelor Of Music, Humber College, 2011.
After about four or five weeks of focussed practicing, I will be encouraging you to play the music that motivated you to want to learn how to play. Play what you love.
More about me:
- Advanced knowledge of improvisation, guitar finger style, performance, arranging, music theory, songwriting.
- Special interest and expertise in the genres of jazz, blues, latin, rock and roll.
- Strong pedagogic skills including curriculum creation, skill and knowledge assessment, maintaining students' focus on core concepts.
More about what I'll show you:
- playing tunes, chords and scales
- how to practice time and rhythm ('strumming patterns')
- songwriting and improvising
- active listening
- audition preparation for those who are applying to post-secondary music schools
- beginner's level piano
"I still use Steve's exercises to help me develop and better understand the instrument. Steve also taught a fun class that covered many interests in music. He was always willing to answer any type of question and help his students improve" - Marc, adult student
"Without question, a great teacher with tremendous aptitude, skill, and patience. Steve has been teaching my 8 and 10 years old daughters for a year now and they are loving it" - Angela, parent
"I would recommend Steve to potential guitar students of any level. Once he got an idea of what I wanted to learn he directed his focus on that and made it easy to want to learn more." - Scott, adult student
"He is dedicated to the success of his students and creates confidence and ability, even for a real beginner in a short space of time. His vast knowledge and experience is clearly evident". - Gail, adult student
"Steve is an excellent guide. He encourages his students to think beyond the first four frets. He also works to improve your ear. He's obviously a skilled guitarist with much practical and theoretical experience." - Don, adult student
"He answered all my questions, even when the answer was for a more advanced lesson. He demonstrated a variety of techniques for practicing guitar to improve dexterity, and learn to read and write music. He encourages students to use initiative and creativity. I looked forward to each and every class" - Adele, adult student